• Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a first Wagner purchase

?
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
    ?
    Well, this seems to me like a rather unrecommendable diversion of your funds!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

?
      My favorite Wagner is The Flying Dutchman with George Solti.

Comment

?
        What, if anything, has drawn you to Wagner? So that one might know what to recommend...
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Initiates into Wagnerism tend to go through the following stages.

First, you are drawn into the orchestral pieces. Find a good edition of Wagner overtures. Die Meistersinger, Der Fliegende Hollander, Rienzi and Tannhauser have overtures which are very accessible for the newcomer.

Then you make the transition to vocal music, but beginning only with the highlights (eg. Ride of Valkyries, the Magic Fire Music, etc. all in the Ring). Obtain a copy of the highlights of the Ring. Most Wagnerians will recommend the Solti version.

If you are still interested, and if the magic of Wagner is starting to cast its spell on you, then you're ready for the real thing. I think the Flying Dutchman is a good opera to start off on, to appreciate as a whole. And then if you can listen to Tristan, and feel the ecstacy and passion running through your veins, and be moved to tears by Isolde's love-death aria, then you know you're a true Wagnerite!

Good luck!
          "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
            Initiates into Wagnerism tend to go through the following stages.

First, you are drawn into the orchestral pieces. Find a good edition of Wagner overtures. Die Meistersinger, Der Fliegende Hollander, Rienzi and Tannhauser have overtures which are very accessible for the newcomer.

Then you make the transition to vocal music, but beginning only with the highlights (eg. Ride of Valkyries, the Magic Fire Music, etc. all in the Ring). Obtain a copy of the highlights of the Ring. Most Wagnerians will recommend the Solti version.

If you are still interested, and if the magic of Wagner is starting to cast its spell on you, then you're ready for the real thing. I think the Flying Dutchman is a good opera to start off on, to appreciate as a whole. And then if you can listen to Tristan, and feel the ecstacy and passion running through your veins, and be moved to tears by Isolde's love-death aria, then you know you're a true Wagnerite!

Good luck!
            I didn't get an answer to my question above, and as a true Wagnerite, I can't wait any longer to put my two cents in here!

I think Steppenwolf's recommendations as far as the Overtures are concerned are good, but I would feel the Dutchman, Tristan and even the Ring may be generally a little stormy and heavy for the novice. I would rather recommend the Meistersinger as a more melodic and benign experience, at first. But perhaps the 2 other answerers feel it is a little long and drawn out for a novice ?

I agree that not too far down the line should be Act 2 and the end of Act 3 of Tristan, perhaps Wagner's most rapturous work. But maybe not right away(?)

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Beyond Within, do you like opera in general? Or have you had any experience with operas? If not, you might want to see if you can either attend the opera or watch one on video. Opera is better when it's both seen and heard. Don Giovanni, La Traviata, and Carmen have all been filmed using movie sets, and many others have had stage productions recorded and released on videotape or DVD. (Actually, Parsifal was filmed about twenty years ago, but the less said about that movie, the better, although it was well played and sung.)

Note: If you watch opera on your home video, run the sound through your sound system or a good set of headphones if possible. You'll never hear all you need to through your TV speakers.

Comment

I forgot Lohengrin. Lohengrin conducted by Solti is an ideal beginning, a glorious and accessible experience.

Comment

Working...
                X