The what are you listening to thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Happymelody:
    [B]just write down whatever it is that you're listening to right now ...

now playing ...

The 6th Symphony. Great music to work outdoors by.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      I heard yesterday the Brahms Violin Concerto in D Op 77 with COND Fritz Reiner and ORCH Chicago Symphony Orchestra and
      SOLO Jascha Heifetz, violin
      RCA/BMG 5402

Excellent recording. I think Gurn would agree!!

Joy,
      You think correctly, this is one of my favorites. Heifetz may be a little bit unable to hold himself back in chamber music, but he really rocks in concertos, especially this one!!
      Regards,
      Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mozart's Symphony in D major #35, K 385 - Berlin Philharmonic / von Karajan. Bellissimo!
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Mozart's Symphony in D major #35, K 385 - Berlin Philharmonic / von Karajan. Bellissimo!
          Karajan? I always thought he was too heavy in the classical repertoire, even Beethoven. Try the period instrument recordings, or any by Sir Charles Mackerras, or any by the Vienna Philharmonic, for a sound closer to what Wolfgang might have heard.

Having said that, that is indeed a great symphony, nearly up to LvB's level.

Comment

Copland's Billy the Kid and Rodeo, just for a change. I played the concert suite from Billy the Kid long ago in a youth orchestra. Fine music!

Comment

Copland song"Why do they shut me out of heaven" sung by Martha Gooth
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"Here,cousin, seize the crown!"

Saturday night at Shakespeare's Globe, London, we watched a first class authentic performance of - Richard 11.

After the play we were treated by the cast to a wonderful Elizabethan court dance, accompanied by authentic instruments, sackbutts and cornets.

This was a mesmerising experience and absolutely captivated the audience with its brilliant movements. One felt the past as a living experience as though being transported back to the court of Elizabeth 1st. With Mark Rylance as master of ceremomies, a consumate actor and artist.

The Globe theatre is a 'must not miss' for visitors to London, a showcase for everything that is best about this country and its cultural past.

Lysander.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited May 18, 2003).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                  [B] Hi Suz, I have a video of Fidelio performed at the Glyndbourne Festival Opera whose Florestan also looks unusually well fed! Another issue is with Leonore/Fidelio - big ladies with big chests make for poor young men!

My Leonore was quite flat chested. Still Marzellina had to be quite a ditz. If I knew the guys were gonna strip, I would have paid more and sat closer
                  S

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                    [b]
                    Originally posted by spaceray:
                    Thanks Suzie ,

Chubby Florestan was Paul Lyon, American Tenor. He sang very well, just didn't look very prisoner-like.

There is a CBC video of the prison scene in which Jon Vickers looks so harrowing and destitute, you almost want to get him a glass of water and something from the fridge. This has to be the best interpreted and sung Florestan you are likely to see in your lifetime. That 15 minute excerpt is worth the whole 2 hour thing.

Comment

Haydn Symphony in D major #93 - St Louis Symphony/Leonard Slatkin - Writing about Haydn in that other thread made me take my own advice. I'm so pleased! ;-)
                      Gurn
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                        Karajan? I always thought he was too heavy in the classical repertoire, even Beethoven. Try the period instrument recordings, or any by Sir Charles Mackerras, or any by the Vienna Philharmonic, for a sound closer to what Wolfgang might have heard.

Having said that, that is indeed a great symphony, nearly up to LvB's level.
                        Normally I would agree with you on that, but as a big surprise, this recording actually sounds pretty good, I'm not sure why. I think in the later symphonies the bigger sound of the BPO is at least somewhat appropriate, certainly they are too much for most Haydn and anything earlier by Mozart. I have heard a very few Mackerras recordings, and I quite agree, they are super. In fact I haven't heard anything done poorly by him even other than Mozart.
                        Regards, Gurn
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven's symphony no 4.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kreutzer:
                            [B] There is a CBC video of the prison scene in which Jon Vickers looks so harrowing and destitute, you almost want to get him a glass of water and something from the fridge. This has to be the best interpreted and sung Florestan you are likely to see in your lifetime. That 15 minute excerpt is worth the whole 2 hour thing.

I will search!

Comment

now playing ...

op. 127

Comment

Haydn - Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross - String Quartet (original) version, Op 51 - Kodaly Quartet
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X