The what are you listening to thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spaceray:
    My regrets dearboy, this mp3 comes entirely unidentified,I will have to listen to them all so I can tell you which one this is.
    The performance is electrifying,I was on the edge of my seat.
    Not a bad idea, actually, and certainly a pleasant way to while away an hour or two.
    Regards, Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven Sonata in A Major for Piano & Cello #3 Op 69 - Pablo Casals & Rudolf Serkin
      - ¡Muy fantástico!
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

"Will the sun forget to streak"from the Queen Of Sheba by Handel.

The opening strains of this music never fails to make my heart melt.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven Sonata in a minor for Piano & Violin #4 Op 23. Martha Argerich & Gidon Kremer - Molto bene!
          Regards, Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            This sounds like a great program. Kreutzer, do you have any information as to the title? I've looked on PBS.org but can't find this program.

Sorry for being late in responding, haven't been here for a while. Here's the link to this PBS program: http://www.mountainlake.org/prog/progfs.htm
            Look fot the May 7 schedule, it's called From the Church of St-Nicolai, Leipzig (not St-Thomas as I thought!)
            I don't know if it is available commercially, but probably so.

[This message has been edited by Kreutzer (edited May 15, 2003).]

Comment

Mozart - Trio in Eb for Piano, Clarinet & Viola K 498 "Keggelstat Trio"
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven's settings of five Scottish and Irish folksongs.Vancouver Chamber Choir.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Handel's - 'Qual nave smarrita'
                  From - 'Radamisto'

+

Uccellini - 1603-1680

Aria quinta sopra, 'Labergamasca'

Comment

Say Suzie, give use the low down on Fidelio.
                    Seattle is a great place for the opera I saw Peter Grimes there years and years ago,Chaszz
                    might be intrested to know that they do a lot of (and apparently a fine job of)Wagner's Operas.

Well Spaceray, I had a really great time. I love any event where their is a lot of Beethoven energy. It was so crowded I didn't go out to the lobby at the intermission and their were police directing traffic. I brought a friend who had never been to an opera and she loved it. She said the music made the hair on the back of her neck stand up and I agree. We were also delighted by the unanticipated nearly 'full monty' during the march. After seeing Fidelio in person, the Marzzelina-Fidelio thing seems to make a little more sense. Listening to the opera alone, I wondered what the purpose was of this side story.

My complaints (and Rod will say "I told you so" if he reads this): I was greatly distracted trying to figure out the time period. Nothing made sense. The Star Trek phone system, the 1930's file cabinets, etc. My friend said the sets and costumes caused her to focus more on the music. She was hoping for costumes and cleavage. I was hoping for something more authentic. What's with the orchestra pit? They're down in the ground. It muddles the sound! Their is no way our Florestan was in prison for over 2 years with his food rationed, unless he went in at 500lbs. I'm afraid I wanted to laugh at the end with all the crazy colored modern costumes, the TV reporter and cameraman filming the prisoners release and the fellow who is responsible for their freedom is a large black man in a white suit with a pink kerchief in his pocket. This was unfortunate because the stage was lit up like the sun and the fence was torn open and that was a beautiful effect. The people on stage looked silly.

The audience was just as colorful. When I saw the 9th Symphony, the audience and in fact the whole city wore black. I expected the opera folk would dress up. Their were 2 Hawaiian shirts, teenagers in evening gowns and flip flops, Goths with shaved heads and opera capes, little old ladies in Chanel suits. I was safe going in all 'unbuttoned'. I still have Beethoven afterglow.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

Thanks Suzie ,
                      That was a great report ,interesting sets who was the chubby Florestan?
                      This happened to me when I went to my first opera"Carmen"was a young and pretty girl and Don Jose looked to be about in his fifty's I couldn't understand why Carmen had this thing for her father ,my friend gave me the low down during the intermission and I never went "unprepared" to the opera again.(Thanks to Milton Cross)
                      I'm listening to Mozart's sonata in G major K379 played on his own violin and piano in the room in which he was born,by Yuuko Shiokawa and Andras Schiff.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven - Sonata in c minor for Piano & Violin #7 Op 30 #2 - Argerich & Kremer again. Alright, I admit it, I am working my way through the whole set ;-))
                        Regards, Gurn
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

hi guys:
                          i am now listenning to serge rachmaninov piano concerto no.2( peter rosel ianist.berlin symphony orchestra).
                          it is a great music.i think you should try that feeling when you hear it.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spaceray:
                            [B]Thanks Suzie ,
                            This happened to me when I went to my first opera"Carmen"was a young and pretty girl and Don Jose looked to be about in his fifty's I couldn't understand why Carmen had this thing for her father ,my friend gave me the low down during the intermission and I never went "unprepared" to the opera again.(Thanks to Milton Cross)
                            I'm listening to Mozart's sonata in G major K379 played on his own violin and piano in the room in which he was born,by Yuuko Shiokawa and Andras Schiff.

Chubby Florestan was Paul Lyon, American Tenor. He sang very well, just didn't look very prisoner-like.

I was just checking out the newspaper, seems the Opera Pacifica is bringing 'Carmen' to town? 10 minute drive. Cheaper tickets. Not by B. Hmmm...

I also noticed the web site for the Mercer Arena has various 'opera' lessons for the novice. I should study.

S

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                              [b]
                              Originally posted by spaceray:
                              Thanks Suzie ,

Chubby Florestan was Paul Lyon, American Tenor. He sang very well, just didn't look very prisoner-like.

I was just checking out the newspaper, seems the Opera Pacifica is bringing 'Carmen' to town? 10 minute drive. Cheaper tickets. Not by B. Hmmm...

I also noticed the web site for the Mercer Arena has various 'opera' lessons for the novice. I should study.

S

Hi Suz, I have a video of Fidelio performed at the Glyndbourne Festival Opera whose Florestan also looks unusually well fed! Another issue is with Leonore/Fidelio - big ladies with big chests make for poor young men!

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I heard yesterday the Brahms Violin Concerto in D Op 77 with COND Fritz Reiner and ORCH Chicago Symphony Orchestra and
                                SOLO Jascha Heifetz, violin
                                RCA/BMG 5402

Excellent recording. I think Gurn would agree!!

------------------
                                'Truth and beauty joined'
                                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                                X