No announcement yet.

The what are you listening to thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday PBS aired a program taped in Leipzig's St-Thomas church (home base of J.S. Bach for a long time). It was a strange but good assemblage: JS Bach's organ Toccata and Fugue in d minor, a Motet, his Chaconne from the d minor violin partita (Viktoria Mullova), then the Gewandhaus orchestra took the stage for some Mendelssohn (choral extract from Elijah or Paulus, not sure), and LvB's 5th symphony. It concluded by going back(wards) to Bach's B minor Mass (the concluding chorus).

Comment

Adelaide.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Handel Carmelite Vespers in the Walkman today, but I'll be back in a Beethoven segment of my strict listening order tomorrow!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Brahms, Quartet in g minor for Piano & Strings, #1 Op 25. Great music!
          Regards, Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Kreutzer:
            Yesterday PBS aired a program taped in Leipzig's St-Thomas church (home base of J.S. Bach for a long time). It was a strange but good assemblage: JS Bach's organ Toccata and Fugue in d minor, a Motet, his Chaconne from the d minor violin partita (Viktoria Mullova), then the Gewandhaus orchestra took the stage for some Mendelssohn (choral extract from Elijah or Paulus, not sure), and LvB's 5th symphony. It concluded by going back(wards) to Bach's B minor Mass (the concluding chorus).
            This sounds like a great program. Kreutzer, do you have any information as to the title? I've looked on PBS.org but can't find this program.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Radio Saturday morning 08.00

Handel's Coronation Anthem,
              by the Academy of Ancient Music.

Composed for the Coronation of King Geroge 11, 1727.

Very stirring and uplifting.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited May 10, 2003).]

Comment

Mozart Concerto in D for Piano and orchestra.#20 K466
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Mozart Grand Partita for 12 Winds and Bass, K 361 - Molto bene!

PS - Alright Space, glad you found that!
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening right now Mikhail Pletnev performing Beethoven's Theme and Variations in F Major, from Deutsche Grammophon.

Is just superb, great CD.

Comment

LvB Op 75 no 1
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
                        I'm afraid this prticular piece of music isn't particularly cultural...

I'm listening to an album called 'Naked' by a girl duo called Scarlet. They had one hit in the mid 90's with a song called 'Independent Love Song.' does anybody remember this? I think they're songs are extremely lyrical and beautiful.
                        Well, anyway, if anybody does remember that song, I'm listening to the album with it on

P.S I know I should really be sticking to classical music on this thread, but I cudn't help but put it in and I promise not to do it again!

Regards,
                        Michael.
                        Variety is the spice of life!! I think the "what are you listening to" can be anything! Sadly, very often all i listen to is the quiet of a library.

However, at the moment, I am listening to Mozart Rondo d-dur k. 382, Mikhail Pletnev on piano and with the Russian National Symphony Orchestra.

http://pinksonata.proboards18.com

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
                          I'm listening right now Mikhail Pletnev performing Beethoven's Theme and Variations in F Major, from Deutsche Grammophon.

Is just superb, great CD.
                          Hi Marta! I too really like Mr. Pletnev. I have like 9 CD's of his stuff, but I don't have the one mention above, and I was just browsing amazon trying to find it, and didn't see it. Can you tell me if it is out of print?

Best wishes to you,
                          Melody

http://pinksonata.proboards18.com

Comment

Hi Happy Melody!

Sure, is from Deutsche Gramophon, 2CDs, and the name is Beethoven- Variations and Bagatelles, and was released in 1997.
                            The number of the CD is 457-493-2.

Is hard to find, if you go to the web site of Deutsche Gramphon you can see in the Pletnev site discography.

Is a wonderful collection of the Beethoven minor piano works, and Pletnev plays them magnifecently...just a must to have.

Marta

Comment

Handel's 'Zadok the Priest.' When the chorus kick in for the first time I never fail to have a load of shivers sent down my spine!

Regards,
                              Michael.

Comment

Mozart again, Violin Concerto in G, #3 K 216
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X