The what are you listening to thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lysander:
    ...Would the greats such as Beethoven, Mozart and Wagner have been affected by this in any way if they had know it. I have a vague idea that at the very end of Wagners life he might have been aware of experiments with recorded sound and telegraphy , but I am only guessing.
    I do know that the BBC have a wax recording phonograph recording of the great English Statesman, William Gladstone's speech in 1887, eleven years before his death.
    Which makes him roughly contemporary with Wagner.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited June 04, 2003).]
    Lysander,

I don't know if you saw the post recently where Peter mentioned an 1889 cylinder recording of Brahms playing of few bars of one of his Hungarian Dances. It can be found at
    http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/groups...ms/brahms.html

Although the sound is very poor, you can hear the melody thru the noise.

I've been going to opera rather than symphony because as everyone here knows I'm nuts about Wagner right now. Plus at opera you get to watch the orchestra plus the singers and set. But your post has made me want to go to the symphony again also.

Wagner may or may not have known about early recording, but his work in many ways anticipates film. There are several instances with detailed stage directions that are simply impossible for a stage and would work well on film (such as one underwater, another showing figures moving on a distant hill). Also he was the first dramatist to turn down the lights in the auditorium.

The sound on cylinders by 1900 was much better than in 1889. I was surprised recently to read that cylinders were still being manufactured until 1929, when flat discs had already taken over the market pretty much for a number of years.

We don't know what the greats would have done with recording, but I wonder if a lot of three minute pieces would have been perfected during the 78 RPM era. Come to think of it, I wonder if any of the modern composers did any three minute pieces for 78s. Does anyone know?

Jazz and pop of the pre-LP era contain a good number of three minute jewels.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Hark! His thunders round me roll.
      Handel's Athalia
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Today on the radio it was Beethoven's Opus 70 in E flat major (The Ghost Trio). These trios were completed in 1808. The Ghost Trio is written in the traditional four movements and was published in 1809 and dedicated to the Countess Erdody.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          Lysander,

I don't know if you saw the post recently where Peter mentioned an 1889 cylinder recording of Brahms playing of few bars of one of his Hungarian Dances. It can be found at
          http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/groups...ms/brahms.html

Although the sound is very poor, you can hear the melody thru the noise.

I've been going to opera rather than symphony because as everyone here knows I'm nuts about Wagner right now. Plus at opera you get to watch the orchestra plus the singers and set. But your post has made me want to go to the symphony again also.

Wagner may or may not have known about early recording, but his work in many ways anticipates film. There are several instances with detailed stage directions that are simply impossible for a stage and would work well on film (such as one underwater, another showing figures moving on a distant hill). Also he was the first dramatist to turn down the lights in the auditorium.

The sound on cylinders by 1900 was much better than in 1889. I was surprised recently to read that cylinders were still being manufactured until 1929, when flat discs had already taken over the market pretty much for a number of years.

We don't know what the greats would have done with recording, but I wonder if a lot of three minute pieces would have been perfected during the 78 RPM era. Come to think of it, I wonder if any of the modern composers did any three minute pieces for 78s. Does anyone know?

Jazz and pop of the pre-LP era contain a good number of three minute jewels.

Thankyou Chaszz, that was most interesting about Brahms. Is that actually his voice introducing his music?

Like yourself my husband is also a big Wagner fan and has seen the 'Ring' twice in London, but that was before we met.
          Tell me Chaszz, is there a Wagner Society in America, if so are you a member?
          My husband joined the Wagner Soc. in London and has only attended a few meetings as time will allow him. He is at present very busy researching and writing a book, hopefully completed by next year.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

Thankyou Chaszz, that was most interesting about Brahms. Is that actually his voice introducing his music?

Like yourself my husband is also a big Wagner fan and has seen the 'Ring' twice in London, but that was before we met.
            Tell me Chaszz, is there a Wagner Society in America, if so are you a member?
            My husband joined the Wagner Soc. in London and has only attended a few meetings as time will allow him. He is at present very busy researching and writing a book, hopefully completed by next year.

There is a scholarly dispute as to who is introducing Brahms on the recording, but they all agree it is not Brahms himself.

There is a Wagner Society in NYC, but I've not joined. I have a busy schedule with my own painting, my job, family, and some animal rights work, so several music forum webstites, including two Wagner sites and of course this one, are my outlet in that direction. Thanks for mentioning it.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited June 05, 2003).]
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Dvorak - Quintet in A for Piano & Strings #2 Op 81 - One of the great works in the chamber music repertoire!
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pablo Martin Meliton Sarasate y Navascuez,Zigeunerweisen.
                On a brilliant summer morning by the sea.
                Perfect!
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Les Filles de Cadiz,Leo Delibes,Another incredible sunny summer day by the sea with not a tourist in sight they are staying away in droves due to SARS and Mad Cow,there goes the economy!
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Andante Favori,LVB WoO 57.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Mozart - Quartet in d minor for Strings #15 K 421 - Juilliard Quartet - Ahhhhh... ;-))
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven's Symphony No. 8 in F Op 93
                        COND Kurt Masur
                        ORCH Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
                        Philips 416282

An excellent recording!

------------------

Comment

Today via radio it is Beethoven's "The Ruins of Athens" Overture Op 113
                          COND Daniel Harding
                          ORCH Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie
                          Virgin 45364

------------------

Comment

Carl Nielson, Symphony No. 5, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Sir Alexander Gibson.

Also Sibelius, Spring Song, and Night Ride and Sunrise, on the same CD.

And - it's off topic but I can't resist it (anyway, Shakespeare and Goethe get talked about here as well) - I read a story by Tolstoy - Master and Man. WHEW!! What a great story!!!!

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited June 10, 2003).]

Comment

Craig Nelson, a fine contemporary American composer who uses tonality and influences of Copland (and occasionally jazz) in his work. I recommend the samples available on Naxos.com. Click on Search catalog, then put Nelson, C in the composer search item and go. His one album comes up. Click on his name where it's underlined, and then play some of the samples of the French Horn Rhapsody, and Gate City. Very good instance of a contemporary composer with a heart who is writing for an audience, not his own navel. If you don't like the jazz movement, you can just click past it. Unfortunately these are not complete movements, for copyright purposes, but his spirit comes through well. I am going to get the album, both because I want it and because I believe he should be applauded and supported, in the midst of this cultural desert we've all been writing about.

(What's left of the Middle Earth movements after cutting them for copyright, are too short to judge.)

Chaszz

------------------
                              "People become civilised, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt."

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited June 11, 2003).]

Comment

Bach - Orchestral Suite #3 BWV 1068 - Trevor Pinnock & English Chamber Orchestra
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X