Waltze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waltze

hey everyone...a while ago I got this really old book at a used bookstore of Beethoven waltzes...and I was quite amazed because I never knew Beethoven to have written any waltzes in an opus number as, say...Brahms with op.39 (<-- those are great pieces btw!) Anyways, I was just curious if this book might be some rip off or what?? I checked hte site out and didn't see anything...other then, I think, something about Variations on a waltz (possibly by Diabelli?? I can't remember) This book is put out by "Boosey's Cabinet Classics" It has a number 114 on it but I'm betting that referrs to the publishers. It has a title "BEETHOVEN'S WALTZ ALBUM containing his 45 ORIGINAL WALTZES" I mean, it's really old, falling apart. It has the price "1 Shilling". Anyone atleast heard of Boosey's publications...they're probably defunct by now, but it looks like they came out of New York.

So anyways, I'm curious there these would come from...there's no opus numbers whatsoever. FOr the last 6 it gives a little note that the last six should be played together. I don't know what elese to say so...can anyone help me??

P.S.--they are cool to play, I do enjoy them, but I have no idea if they're "Beethoven's style" or not.

There are two waltzes for piano by Beethoven WoO84 and WoO 85. Is it possible that your collection includes other small Beethoven piano dance pieces such as the Ecossaises, Landler and minuets under the general heading of Waltzes?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited June 27, 2003).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

He wrote a number of sets of dances and minuets for orchestra in his early days which he also arranged for piano. These are very good, apart from the so called 'Modlinger Dances' which are almost certainly not Beethoven's. If one loosely interprets these as 'waltzes' then your book is probably legitimate.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by jman:
        hey everyone...a while ago I got this really old book at a used bookstore of Beethoven waltzes...and I was quite amazed because I never knew Beethoven to have written any waltzes in an opus number as, say...Brahms with op.39 (<-- those are great pieces btw!) Anyways, I was just curious if this book might be some rip off or what?? I checked hte site out and didn't see anything...other then, I think, something about Variations on a waltz (possibly by Diabelli?? I can't remember) This book is put out by "Boosey's Cabinet Classics" It has a number 114 on it but I'm betting that referrs to the publishers. It has a title "BEETHOVEN'S WALTZ ALBUM containing his 45 ORIGINAL WALTZES" I mean, it's really old, falling apart. It has the price "1 Shilling". Anyone atleast heard of Boosey's publications...they're probably defunct by now, but it looks like they came out of New York.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is Boosey of the Boosey & Hawkes publications. It's been about 20 years since I've been involved in this sort of thing, but as I recall they are a legitimate and reputable publisher.

Comment

i see, i see...well that sounds cool then!! thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X