Finale of the Tempest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finale of the Tempest

What is the form of the finale of the Tempest Sonata? Is it a rondo or a sonata or a sonatina or what? The main theme appears three times, being exposed from the start and repeated, then a secondary theme, then the main theme again, and the secondary theme. Any idea?

It is in Sonata form with a long development and a coda just as extensive. Quite a rarity in that the minor key prevails throughout.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It is in Sonata form with a long development and a coda just as extensive. Quite a rarity in that the minor key prevails throughout.

I see. And if I'm not wrong, the coda is based in thematic material of the development section. This is another rarity, right?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        the coda is based in thematic material of the development section. This is another rarity, right?
        Please, an answer. This is essential.

Comment

I see. And if I'm not wrong, the coda is based in thematic material of the development section. This is another rarity, right?
          The whole movement is based on the opening thematic material!

The coda (bars 319-399) contains a repetition of the whole main theme entering with the sudden fortissimo, the codetta which was eliminated in the recapitulation is heard in full.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            The whole movement is based on the opening thematic material!

The coda (bars 319-399) contains a repetition of the whole main theme entering with the sudden fortissimo, the codetta which was eliminated in the recapitulation is heard in full.

With typical Beethovenian style there is such a wonderful economy of material here. No wasted notes and everything growing from the opening few measures, not unlike the first movement of the 5th Symphony.

Comment

And what about the finale of the Appassionata? I'm almost sure that it is a rondo, but it has a repeated middle section so it could be a sonata. Please help!

Comment

And what about the finale of the Appassionata? I'm almost sure that it is a rondo, but it has a repeated middle section so it could be a sonata. Please help!
                Yes it's sonata form.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X