Authentic Page - 2 cello sonatas Op.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
    Rod, I have a question for you, but let me preface it by saying that I love hearing authentic instruments. And we completely agree on the balance issue.
    Do you think that, strictly in terms of sheer beauty of tone, the modern piano is superior to the fortepiano heard on these recordings?
    While listening to these recordings, I occasionally hear a phrase played by the keyboard and I can't help but think how much more full and ringing the sound would be on a 9 foot Steinway. How much more legato...
    Boy, this could open a whole can of worms.
    I've bought just about all of Beethoven's piano music on modern instrument, but after a while I became very tired of the instrument's sound, even with good performances.

There are many issues to consider with Beethoven and the nature of the piano that I have gone over many times. These days I just present the music and people can judge for themselves. I for one will not go back to the modern instrument. But if it wasn't for Beethoven I would not be interested in the piano at all.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
    X