• Show
Clear All

Authentic Page - 2 cello sonatas Op.5

Now available to members
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I think these are first rate recordings, especially the Bilson/Bylsma CD, which is the best rendition of Op5 you could hope to hear.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I really enjoyed these,the sound of the instruments is wonderful.Such elegance to the writing .Lovely.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I agree. The instruments sound is just fantastic on these recordings. Very enjoyable indeed.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Rod,
          Quite splendid, really. I always like to hear Bylsma on the 'cello, his playing just fits my ear.
          Thanks,
          Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

As usual I quite enjoyed these pieces. Even my husband liked them and he wants me to add these to my collection.

The rondo was especially cheerful and helped me to take my mind off how miserable the weather has been here in Vienna. It's been nothing but hot and humid since the beginning of May with no end in sight. It was reported that this May was the hottest (and humid) here in Vienna since 1811. To make things worse, our flat here in Heiligenstadt is an "attic flat" (5th floor) and we face the west so we have the sun in the afternoon until it sets. No A/C, just a fan that blows the hot air around. Thank god for music like this that takes me away from this 100° inferno to a beautiful, cool and refreshing place.

Comment

I always like to hear Bilson, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                I always like to hear Bilson, myself.
                This was Bilson in the days before he decided it was perfectly acceptable to add notes ad libitum to any piece of Beethoven piano music, and he is not alone in this philosophy. I wrote an email to Bilson suggesting he should cease this behaviour and he took great offence, though he admitted however that the topic has caused real fights between music academics! If he was to release a new CD of Op5 today I would think long and hard before buying it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited June 07, 2003).]

Comment

Adding notes to Beethoven ,that's an awful cheek isn't it.Is he trying to improve the music?This can't be acceptable,can it?Why doesn't he just write music that is better than Beethoven and put his own name on it.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    Adding notes to Beethoven ,that's an awful cheek isn't it.Is he trying to improve the music?This can't be acceptable,can it?Why doesn't he just write music that is better than Beethoven and put his own name on it.
                    It's rather ironic coming from the authentic movement! They should read Beethoven's criticism of Czerny when he dared embellish the piano part of Op.16:

"But you must forgive a composer who would rather have heard his work performed exactly as it was written, however beautifully you played it in other respects."

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Outstanding postings! Brilliant renditions of very expressive works. Thanks!

------------------
                      Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche
                      Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche

Comment

I really enjoyed these recordings. The thinner sound of the fortepiano really lets the cello be an equal partner. I talked to a cellist recently who said he enjoyed playing these sonatas with a fortepiano because he didn't have to force anything. Listening to these recordings, I can see what he meant.
                        The G minor intro is often played more slowly, but I like this basic tempo. It never bogs down. There is a wonderful give and take in this performance. Because the tempo is a flexible and flowing thing, it sounds spontaneous and improvisatory. My mouth is watering to hear the ensuing Allegro. I guess I will have to buy the recording..
                        Rod, are you familiar with the complete sonata recording with Jos Van Immerseel and Anner Bylsma. I just got is from the library and plan to listen when I get a free moment.

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
                          My mouth is watering to hear the ensuing Allegro. I guess I will have to buy the recording..
                          Rod, are you familiar with the complete sonata recording with Jos Van Immerseel and Anner Bylsma. I just got is from the library and plan to listen when I get a free moment.
                          The Allegro is fantastic but too long really for mp3 so I chose shorter movements. I am weary of the Immerseel/Bylsma set because the sound is not so good.

------------------

Comment

I really enjoyed these recordings. The thinner sound of the fortepiano really lets the cello be an equal partner. I talked to a cellist recently who said he enjoyed playing these sonatas with a fortepiano because he didn't have to force anything. Listening to these recordings, I can see what he meant.
                            Balance is a very important point, I've went to a concert where the cello was all but totally inaudible next to the (modern) piano.

The G minor intro is often played more slowly, but I like this basic tempo.
                            I agree this is usually the case, but here the momentum is kept going, without losing the sence of emotion the music asks - it's the manner of the phrasing that is the key, not slowness of pace.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited June 11, 2003).]

Comment

Rod, I have a question for you, but let me preface it by saying that I love hearing authentic instruments. And we completely agree on the balance issue.
                              Do you think that, strictly in terms of sheer beauty of tone, the modern piano is superior to the fortepiano heard on these recordings?
                              While listening to these recordings, I occasionally hear a phrase played by the keyboard and I can't help but think how much more full and ringing the sound would be on a 9 foot Steinway. How much more legato...
                              Boy, this could open a whole can of worms.

Comment

Working...
                              X