Brand, Spanking, New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand, Spanking, New

I have been "lurking" in this site for several weeks, and I heartily thank those who are bold enough to post their insights and opinions. I have learned much.

I am sure this question has been posed to this group before, and I apologize for any repetition: as a relatively new student to concert music and to Beethoven, what specific works and recordings therof would you reccommend to the newly initiated, and why?

Thank you.

Dawn

Welcome out of the closet!

It really is a difficult one to answer as everyone has different tastes so I can only speak from my own Beethoven initiation. I'd suggest the 6th and 7th & 8th symphonies, the 4th and 5th piano concertos, the 'Spring' violin sonata Op.24, String quartet Op.18 no.1, Piano sonatas 'Pathetique','Moonlight', 'Waldstein'
    Op.78 and Op.109. Overtures 'Consecration of the House' Op.124 and Egmont. That should get you started!

As to recordings there are some recommendations on this site.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited June 03, 2003).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I would like to add the piano sonatas no. 23, "Appassionata" and no. 26, "Les Adiuex", and the Symphony No. 2.

------------------
      "People become civilised, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt."
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

If you are new to Beethoven please do try out some of his songs and folksong settings.
        I can recommend "Che fa il mio bene " This is a delightful morsel and I'm partial to the Irish and Scotch folksong settings they are absolutely brilliant accompaniment to the human voice, he was so dignified with his musical witticisms in "Come Fill,Fill my Good Fellow"you really are in a tavern the music paints the picture so well.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

King Stephen is a catchy overture, and the violin concerto is also very good.

Comment

In addition to the above fine selections do try out his 9th Symphony. It's mammoth but it is the one that got me interested in Beethoven in the first place. Once i heard it, I had to have more! Pay close attention to the 2nd movement, magnificient!

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              he was so dignified with his musical witticisms in "Come Fill,Fill my Good Fellow"you really are in a tavern the music paints the picture so well.
              This is a most excellent drinking song. I feel like downing a few beers just thinking about it (I will later tonight watching the England soccer match!).

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thank you so much. I realize they are personal and varied opinions, but that is what makes them valuable.

Comment

Working...
                X